Hi everyone, Amy here! I’m super nervous about posting this week’s project as, for a change, I’ve created a 12×12 scrapbook layout. Eeep! I’m usually strictly a Project Life girl but I’m always up for a challenge and so I’ve put together something simple using the beautiful May hipkits. If you’re a beginner ‘traditional’ scrapper, like me, you might find working in 12×12 quite daunting. I mean, that’s a lot of white space you’re starting out with! Layering pieces up slowly, however, really helped me put together (my second ever!) ‘proper’ scrapbook layout.
I started off by editing and printing a selection of photographs from my wedding last October. After cutting each picture out, I started to try to match them up with different papers. I liked how the phrase ‘caught on camera’ (from one of the Jillibean Soup papers from the Main and Paper kits) kind of told a story with this photograph – although we weren’t caught on camera at all, we were posing for the photographer!
Behind the photograph and 3×6 card, I placed a piece of the navy and white dotty paper (one of the exclusive papers for May) and then arranged two of the Simple Stories chipboard frames on the diagonal. It was at this point that I busted out the exclusive Meadowbrook ephemera from the Main kit and started to tuck pieces in. I absolutely adore the flowers from the ephemera so I used a lot of those. I also placed the ‘favorite memory’ sticker from the Meadowbrook puffy stickers (from the May Embellishment kit) so that it overlapped the photograph and the bottom frame as I really liked that phrase for telling this story.
It was at this point that I decided to place some strips across the bottom of the page. I used the same papers and flower as I had in the middle section so that everything tied nicely together. Now I realised that I’d nearly completed my layout – but nothing was stuck down! Ooops! I photographed my layout with my ipad and took everything off. I gave the white paper a little spritz of the yellow Shimmerz mist from the April Color kit. I think looking back I could have been a little more generous with the mist, but I was nervous that I’d spoil my paper! It turns out that they’re really to use, though. I had a little practice on newspaper before spraying the paper and it turned out great!
The mist dried really quickly and I was soon able to start reconstructing my layout. I used sticky foam pieces between some of the layers – this really helped make everything pop! I chose a few other embellishments from then Embellishment and Project Life kits to finish everything off, including some of the Jillibean Soup wood veneer and sequins.
That’s all from me today! Happy scrapping! 🙂